How to improve Skills for the GD(Group Discussion)?
Asking questions and joining in discussions are important skills
for university study. If you find it difficult to speak or ask
questions even during the tutorials, try the following strategies.
Attend as many seminars and tutorials as possible and notice what
other students do. Ask yourself:
• How do other students make critical comments?
• How do they ask questions?
• How do they disagree with or support arguments?
• What special phrases do they use to show politeness even when
they are voicing disagreement?
• How do they signal to interrupt, ask a question or make a point?
Start practicing your discussion skills in an informal setting
or with a small group. Start with asking questions of fellow students.
Ask them about the course material. Ask for their opinions. Ask
for information or ask for help.
Take every opportunity to take part in social/informal discussions
as well as more structured/formal discussion. Start by making
small contributions to tutorial discussions; prepare a question
to ask, or agree with another speaker’s remarks.